Alex Has Come A Long Way!!!
Alex had a great week. Starting with today, Alex wore "real" clothes for the first time. Since the Strike he has only worn gauze, hospital gowns and gym shorts, but today he got dressed and went to church. Friday night was amazing - He slept ALL night long!! It was the first night since we brought Alex home that Dave and I haven't gotten up with Alex. (I know why people have babies when they are young, getting up every 1-2 hours all night long is NOT fun). Friday during the day he spent time with a State Employee that helps with Special Needs and a local School District person training him on Dragon. Its a program that allows Alex to speak into the computer and it types for Alex. They also showed Alex some other tools that he can use once he's able to go back to school. I think it gave him hope - since he cant use his fingers, the thought of school was a little unnerving. Thursday night Alex got to meet 2 of the Santa Clara Firefighters that were on the scene October 5th. Why you ask? Where you ask? Lets go back a little bit. Alex had 2 friends over and we were eating a wonderful spaghetti meal one of our neighbors brought us. I was finally putting our Christmas decorations up and we were waiting for Kiels Scout leaders to come over. Kiel is working on his Eagle, and his Leaders were coming over to make sure he was still on track. They knocked on the door and when I answered it, they said "it smells like gas out here". Dave and I went outside and sure enough it did smell like gas and we could hear a "phssssssss" sound. We had a leak at our gas meter. I called Questar Gas and they sent a technician out who checked our gas levels in the house and announced "you need to evacuate your home right now, I've already called the Fire Dept, they are on their way." REALLY??>!!!! So we did as we were told, I luckily grabbed Alex's meds and our tooth brushes (not sure why I did that, but was glad the next day at noon when we still weren't back in our home). With all the rain we have had here, our home settled a bit and busted the pipe from our home to the meter. Questar said we needed to have a Contractor come fix the problem, a larger hole needed to be cut in the house and the pipe replaced. Dave went to our neighbors home, who just happens to be a Contractor and specializes in Heating & AC (what are the odds!!?!). The 2 of them worked on that Friday and by 8pm we had a warm home again. But back to the Fire Fighters..... 2 of them that helped us Thursday night were also one of the first ones on the scene at the High School. They asked me if it was ok if they met Alex. They both come into the home we slept at and shook Alex's hand and talked to him, it was so touching to see. Alex wasn't very talkative because he was freaking out about the gas leak (he dosent feel safe anymore - lots of PTS going on). But has since said that it was "cool" to meet them. Once again we are grateful for those that Serve. We are just laughing about it now... What are the odds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!