Welcome friends and family of Alex and Dane!




This Blog has been created by friends and family of Alex and Dane as they make their way down the road to recovery, after being struck by lightning 10/5/2010. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers as this road will likely be a long one. Feel free to check back often for status updates on both Alex and Dane, and be sure and leave your well-wishes when you visit. The boys will be shown this blog when they are awake.

We sincerely Thank You for your concern and friendship. Alex and Dane will always remember the support of friends and family like you.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

What is that??!!??

Alex's hands and fingers still aren't working - however he has learned to adapt and is becoming quite self reliant. His amazing OT gave him a few gadgets to help with things while we wait for him to heal (we still believe that his nerves are healing and growing and he will soon be "back to the old grind").  Above is a picture of a metal brace that he wears on occasion - when he wears it he can pick things up.  He can move his wrists backwards - not forwards.  So when the brace is on and he moves his wrist backwards, it makes his thumb and index finger pinch together - its Great for picking up fries!!!  The other item in the picture is a cast that fits on his fingers (like rings)- when he wears that he can "write".  The pen is molded into the cast.  Pretty Cool!  Pretty Lucky!

2 comments:

  1. What is it?!!? IT'S ART! It looks like some sort of therapeutic, art deco armature. Either that or you're turning into some sort of Transformer!

    One day I got ready for one of my training sessions after seeing my rehab doctor and getting my durable medical equipment. I was wearing black spandex leggings (it's difficult to move very well in anything else) and a black, long-sleeved thermal shirt (I'm always cold). I had metal braces on each leg that ran from knees into my MBT shoes. (these are the shoes that inspired Sketchers "make your butt look better" shoes) I had neoprene wraps on both of my knees. My hair is kept in a single pony tail all the time because I can do little else with it. I walked out of my room ready to go and my son, who was 6, said, "Mom, you look like black megatron." I'm still unsure as to whether or not that was a compliment.

    Adaptation is KEY!! Good for you, Alex! Cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LARA! I like the idea of a megatron! That should be a new movie plot. I love STRONG WOMEN movies! Hit by lightning and become...(I don't know...you'll have to fill in the blanks...LARATRON!???) Saving the world one lightening victim at a time!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete

Alex on Wednesday, Oct.6

Alex on Wednesday, Oct.6

Dane Thursday Oct 7th

Dane Thursday Oct 7th
Before Life Support was removed

Alex's Room

Alex's Room
Thanks for all the love