Welcome friends and family of Alex and Dane!




This Blog has been created by friends and family of Alex and Dane as they make their way down the road to recovery, after being struck by lightning 10/5/2010. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers as this road will likely be a long one. Feel free to check back often for status updates on both Alex and Dane, and be sure and leave your well-wishes when you visit. The boys will be shown this blog when they are awake.

We sincerely Thank You for your concern and friendship. Alex and Dane will always remember the support of friends and family like you.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday 11-14-10 - Alex

Some friends stopped in today to visit Alex, we were reminiscing about the concert last weekend at the Electric Theater- Alex has his sign hanging up in his room.  I just wanted to thank all the local company's that donated items for a raffle that night. Rainbow Sign and Banner; Hungry Howie's Pizza; Jimmy John's; Stephen Wade Nissan; McArthur's Jewelers; Dixie Direct Card; Dave's Barber Shop; The Academy; Conrad's Car Wash; Jones Paint & Glass; Diane Daniels; Fiesta Fun; The Ledges; Main Street Insurance; Taylor Andrews; Tom Daniels Pest Control.  Thanks to the bands for the great entertainment, everyone had a great time.

Alex did so good during PT this week that he got a 2 hour pass out of the hospital.  We took him to the park, he liked being outside.  I kept trying to shield him from the sun but he reassured me he wasn't a Vampire and wouldn't "sparkle" in the sunlight :)

Hope everyone had a great weekend, we did - oh and sorry about the Bench Press / Squat mix up  - Alex use to squat 300 lbs not bench.  He used to bench 205.  Slight mix up I was told numerous times - lol - Kaleen aka Alex's mom

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that both boys are doing so well. I know that it seems like baby steps right now, just keep it mind that both of you are moving forward every day. Both of you are amazing, you have amazing families and an amazing community that is showing a terrific outpouring of love and support. I enjoy checking your blog every few days to see your progress.
    Lisa Schaffer, RN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that they are both doing well! Yesterday I had the opportunity to talk to one of the Doctors who was present when the boys came in. He wanted me to thank everyone who has prayed and been involved in the process of healing. To Alex and Dane's parents, your strength has been incredibley inspiring for me and many others. Thank you so much for everything that you have done in bringing this community together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those passes out of the hospital are like heaven! The fresh air, the sunshine, the freedom. Glad to read that you enjoyed yours!!

    My son, who was 14 at the time, took me on a walk one day. (He walked - I was in a motorized wheelchair.) My rehab hospital was across the street from a skate park. We went over to the skate park to watch the boarders do "their thing" one day. It felt good to be outside, but I bet the sight of a quadriplegic was a bit unnerving to skaters! We went inside the park and my son slowly took me up to the edge of one of the bowls so I could peer over the edge. From the second floor windows of the hospital they didn't look very deep, but on the edge it was really quite frightening! My son made me put my hands in my lap, far away from the wheelchair controls, so that I wouldn't accidently go into the bowl. I asked him how the skaters know when it is their turn to go - there were so many of them. He said they simply say something, like "going" and that alerts the other skaters that they need to wait a second before making a run. We sat and watched for another couple of minutes, then when there was a lull in activity in the bowl I yelled, "GOING!" They all stopped and stared at me. I was laughing, my son was covering his face, and the skaters were nervous. Ahh..... good times, good comedy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Alex on Wednesday, Oct.6

Alex on Wednesday, Oct.6

Dane Thursday Oct 7th

Dane Thursday Oct 7th
Before Life Support was removed

Alex's Room

Alex's Room
Thanks for all the love