Welcome friends and family of Alex and Dane!




This Blog has been created by friends and family of Alex and Dane as they make their way down the road to recovery, after being struck by lightning 10/5/2010. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers as this road will likely be a long one. Feel free to check back often for status updates on both Alex and Dane, and be sure and leave your well-wishes when you visit. The boys will be shown this blog when they are awake.

We sincerely Thank You for your concern and friendship. Alex and Dane will always remember the support of friends and family like you.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Thursday 11-11-10 Alex

For those of you that know Alex - you know he Loves Crunch Wrap Supremes from Taco Bell.  When he had his feeding tube in he craved them but since he couldn't eat it was just a thought.  Once the feeding tube was removed (3 weeks ago today) we kept asking him if he wanted one.  His reply was always "No I want Peaches" (lol)  Until yesterday - While I was playing Cub Scout Leader for some local Cub Scouts, I got a text from his friend that was at the hospital with him that said "Alex wants a Crunch Wrap Supreme"  I wanted to shout for Joy.  After Scouts I got him his CWS no tomatoes, went to the hospital, unwrapped it, put it into his hands and he ate the entire thing and he ate it by himself.  Wahoo!!!!!
Now 2 months ago I wouldn't have thought twice about him requesting food and eating it by himself, but since the Strike he hasn't had an appetite and has needed assistance in doing everything.  Well, looks like he is turning some corners, everyday he is making improvements.  They are small yet huge. He is having a hard time  though, he keeps saying "a month ago I could drive and squat 300lbs and now look at me".  I've told him he needs to change his thinking and say "TWO months ago I could drive and squat 300lbs, ONE month ago I was lying in a hospital in Vegas on Life Support with burns over 15% of my body, NOW I can sit up in bed, stand up from a wheel chair, take assisted steps (walk), feed myself, turn on my Ipod............"  His baseline has to change.
Since being back in STG I have been able to witness the support and love our community has shown for Alex and Dane.  Thanks to each and everyone of you that read this blog and have a sincere love an admiration for these boys.  We as parents love Alex and Dane and know what great people they are, its nice to see so many others also see their potential and pray and support them.  Thanks - Kaleen  aka Alex's mom

7 comments:

  1. This is great news! If you want someone to spot you next time you go to work out, I want to volunteer! (love your hair)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (laughing)
    Alex,

    Your Crunch Wrap Supreme is my Six Dollar Burger! Those trash food desires that are kicking in mean you are back and badder than ever! You WILL drive again. You WILL walk further and further. You WILL bench press once more! (300 pounds? Really? Whoa, dude.) It will ALL come back in time. But, your mother is right - your baseline must change. It has changed. For those of us who think benching 300 pounds is an impossible and miraculous feat, we think you lifting a CWS to your mouth is far more spectacular! It may not seem like it to you, just as eating a hamburger didn't seem like much to me, but it IS.

    Our lives were changed overnight. We went from doing crazy-cool stuff to struggling to breath. For you and me little, mundane activities that we accomplish do not seem like triumphs - in fact they can be the most frustrating because we were able to do so much more just months prior! There's that darned moving baseline again!

    The things that you do that are mentioned every couple of days in this blog are so incredible I want to stand up and applaud. I am tickled pink (nearly fuchsia!) by the news that I read about you. I know how you feel! I know the stages that you are moving through! I remember them! I also know what is coming next, and sweetie, it's HUGE!! All the good stuff is right around the corner. Work really hard during this time. Your brain and body are reconnecting so give them as many opportunities as possible to do so.

    Keep the positive mojo flowing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know any of you but I have been following this event for a few weeks! You all seem to be really nice and caring people! I am surprised to find so many people helping and in general, just caring! This has been a topic of discussion around our work, that started as a "Oh my gosh, did you hear about the two kids hit by lightning?" and now it is a "Have you heard about this town they call St. George? They really help each other and care about each other!" I'm going to visit and see if I can move there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like Laura knows a lot about this recovery thing. Maybe she could tell her story here as well? Alex and Dane, You both have a lot of people out here who are pulling for you! I hope you know that you are a "Lightning Rod" for this community! (if that is not too crude to say) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for CWS!!! Bench Pressing 300lbs? Scares me a little, I better stop giving him a hard time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, I don't know these boys at all, they go to the High School that my kids will go to in a few years, but I will tell you this.... we are all so lucky to live in such an amazing place. I don't think ANYONE knows how much the community has put into the care of these boys. We have all pulled together and it's really neat to witness. I am proud to say that I live in St. George and think anyone would love it here!!!! GOOD JOB ALEX on the food!!!! It's no fun when you can't eat what you love.... eat away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alex,

    We are so happy that your expiration date did not turn out to be 39 days, 6 hours, 47 minutes and 44 seconds ago. Being in the hospital now might give you a slanted view of your world... You ARE going to get better, way better. Start making plans.

    ReplyDelete

Alex on Wednesday, Oct.6

Alex on Wednesday, Oct.6

Dane Thursday Oct 7th

Dane Thursday Oct 7th
Before Life Support was removed

Alex's Room

Alex's Room
Thanks for all the love