Welcome friends and family of Alex and Dane!




This Blog has been created by friends and family of Alex and Dane as they make their way down the road to recovery, after being struck by lightning 10/5/2010. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers as this road will likely be a long one. Feel free to check back often for status updates on both Alex and Dane, and be sure and leave your well-wishes when you visit. The boys will be shown this blog when they are awake.

We sincerely Thank You for your concern and friendship. Alex and Dane will always remember the support of friends and family like you.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunday - No more shots for Alex

Every Morning around 8am Alex would have to get a shot in his stomach - needless to say it wasn't a great way to start off his morning.  The shot was to help him not get blood clots and since he wasn't up and moving around they were concerned with him getting them.  Well now that he's up and about - no more shots. YEA!
Alex doesn't have PT on the weekends, but he wanted to do something with his idle time, so on Friday Alex and his PT made a schedule of exercises for him to accomplish Saturday.  He did them all twice yesterday, morning and late afternoon.  He pushed himself and did great.  Thanks to T for coming in yesterday to help push him mentally while Alex worked physically.  We have great friends who are so willing to help us with everything (and I mean everything)!!!!  Thanks St. George.  Thanks for all the letters that have been mailed to us from out of state, Alex has received some cute colorings from children we don't even know. Kaleen aka Alex's mom

From Dave Talley -
I had a moment to reflect today, and although this has been a very stressful and humbling time for our family, I can't help but remember the laughs that sometimes brighten our day and keep us going. My quote for today is from Alex when he was still in Las Vegas (and still on Morphine!) Kaleen was trying to explain what had happened to him and trying to answer Alex's questions. Alex asks, "what year is this?" Kaleen answers, "it's 2010" Alex say's with incredulity, "Oh yeah! Right! I get struck by lightning and you guys get blasted into the future!" It was hard not to laugh even in that moment.

5 comments:

  1. Alex,

    Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!! That is the work ethic needed! (I'm just sitting here beaming.)

    You are so far ahead of me on the recovery timeline. I'm JEALOUS!! I anticipate you surpassing my recovery by leaps and bounds! You let me know when you're ready and I'll race you down the hospital hallway!!

    I was still getting shots long after I was released. No one in my family had the stomach to give me the injections and I didn't have the coordination in my hands to give it to myself. However, we had a foreign exchange student from Ghana living with us at the time who desperately wanted to become a doctor. My husband asked him if he would give me my shots before going to school every morning. He was so excited! The doctor gave him some practice syringes and asked him to work on an orange until he perfected his technique. After my release I would be awoken by a sweet young voice who would whisper, "Good morning, Mama." He would apologize to me as he prepared the area around my bellybutton. He took great care and was a thousand times more gentle than the hospital staff. He'd touch my forehead, tell me that he'd see me after school and quietly leave my room. He was so cool. George is now attending college here in Idaho.

    Dave,

    When I woke up I thought it was 1996 and my husband was the Beer Nuts delivery man. (his hat had a logo that said so)

    :) Gotta love lightning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so glad to hear all the updates on both boys. Wee keep you all in our hearts and prayers

    Nate and Su Lin Neilson Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any news about Dane? How is he doing? Is he able to visit Alex from time to time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan, I posted a brief update on Dane today before I read your comment, but yes Dane does visit Alex, quite often actually! I think they are good medicine for each other. We can't wait for Alex to be home so the can "hang out" together at home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the update. I heard they were good friends. I check this almost daily to see how everyone is doing and began to wonder how Dane was. I look forward to meeting him.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Alex on Wednesday, Oct.6

Alex on Wednesday, Oct.6

Dane Thursday Oct 7th

Dane Thursday Oct 7th
Before Life Support was removed

Alex's Room

Alex's Room
Thanks for all the love