Welcome friends and family of Alex and Dane!




This Blog has been created by friends and family of Alex and Dane as they make their way down the road to recovery, after being struck by lightning 10/5/2010. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers as this road will likely be a long one. Feel free to check back often for status updates on both Alex and Dane, and be sure and leave your well-wishes when you visit. The boys will be shown this blog when they are awake.

We sincerely Thank You for your concern and friendship. Alex and Dane will always remember the support of friends and family like you.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tuesday

Its Wednesday morning as I type this.  Yesterday (Tuesday 10-12) was a very eventful day for all of us. Alex became more aware of his surroundings and agreed to stay here at the hospital.  He said that if they would heal him he would stay.  A nurse said  "why thank you Alex for agreeing to stay" Alex says "ya, I'll stay but only for 2 days - tops!".  Nurse says "OK, but I get to tell you when the 2 days start". When asked why hes here he says "because of lighting", Where are you "Vegas".  He said "Mom cant we just go to my hometown?"   UMC Hospital has been wonderful, the 24 hour constant care they are giving is amazing.  The nurses are tireless and caring, attending to Alexs every need and trying to accomadate his desire for water.  Still no water for the boy, he can have ice chips though.  He used his debate skills with the nurses saying that ice is frozen water so why cant he just have water.  His gauge reflex isnt back yet, so no water for a while.  His pneumonia is getting a little better, he had episodes of feeling like someone was sitting on his chest (usually he thought it was his brother Kiel sitting on him - lol).  So hes back on an oxygen mask.  He got his catheter out mid afternoon and was able to feel the sensation of needing to go to the bathroom  - thats a huge improvement.  Dane was out cruising the halls and stopped in to see Alex a few times.  Alex was able to be sat up in a chair and moved into the hall - Dane came out and they were able to talk - when Alex saw Dane walk towards him, he said "I want to walk on my two feet too".  Im sure that will come in a few days.  His burns are getting better - his face is almost healed.  As long as he continues to improve he will have skin graft surgery Thursday.
The most amazing thing that happened is that Dane got to leave the hospital.  Dane didn't want to leave Alex but he needs to get back and start on his physical therapy.  Dane stayed the night in Vegas and will come visit Alex in a few hours.  It was bitter sweet to see the two boys say goodbye - I'm so amazed at Dane and his progress and his pure compassion towards Alex and his recovery.  These boys are amazing!!  Speaking of Amazing - the Administration from Snow Canyon High School visited the boys today; Warren Brooks, Paul Hurt, Conley Gali & Jamie Kreyling (Officer Brown and Mr Hansen were not able to come).  They came bearing gifts from notes to Spirit clothes and signs.  The boys enjoyed visiting with each of  them.  As parents we felt so blessed to hug these men that saved our boys lives.  We have so many people to thank.  The Admin also presented each family with a check from Snow Canyon, Hurricane and Ceder City High Schools.  Last Friday, each of these schools had a "Miracle Minute" and collected funds to help the boys (parents) with their medical bills.  Leslie and I were shocked (and still are) when we looked at our checks and each saw $4,832.06 written in.  THANK YOU to each and everyone of you that contributed.  Times are tough out there and to see this kind of generosity is so humbling,  There is still so much good on earth and Im so blessed to be part of this kindness, generosity and pure selflessness.  Thank you southern Utah!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update Kaleen. I know you keep hearing this, I need to reiterate how amazed I am with you! John & I saw & heard you on the news yesterday, talking about Alex & Dane! A pillar of strength you are! You spoke with amazing calmness, in your eyes were love, hope & gratitude!
    We are thankful to know you and yours! Looking forward to many happy times together! Always in our daily thoughts & prayers!
    Hugs~Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. ginger---
    hey man i just wanted to say that i miss you! i want to come see you too, tell your mom to let me come see you!
    tell her to call me and give me the okay:)

    ginga

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaleen, the news just keeps better and better. And you appear to be more rested based on your writing. You tell Alex he will be up on his feet in no time, and he's coming back to his hometown as soon as his doctors give him the okay. This past week has seemed like a month for us I would imagine it seems like its been a year for you guys. We will be down tomorrow. Let me know what time Alex is having surgery. If you need some company, I can come have lunch with you or something. Bless you, sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know these boys but I have a son the same age that goes to SCHS. As soon as I heard about this my heart sunk and I started praying for them. That evening after it happened I looked out my kitchen window and saw two rainbows side by side in the direction of the high school as strange as this may sound, seeing them gave me hope for them. I continue to pray for them and their families. We have all witnessed a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaleen--I have been thinking and praying for you and our family ever since I heard the news. Of course, I consider you to be a friend of mine because we share the same love--Kiel. I am sure that because Alex is his brother he has got to be a great person. Please know that we follow every bit of news that comes out. Thanks for putting information here, that way we won't bother you so much. Please let me know if I can do ANYTHING for you when you get home. Love,
    Kris Perkes Lava Ridge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there Alex... You will be out of that hospital before you know it.... We all miss you and hope to see you soon...... Best wishes.... Love ya :) P.S. Hopefully you can have some water soon. Because water is the best thing for you!! Ha ha! You are so amazing.. I can't believe how far you have come.. It is so amazing! Keep up the good work.. We all love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyday I look forward to seeing the update. I don't know Alex, but my son is in debate and runs Cross Country. He is friends with both Alex & Dane. I chuckled when you said Alex was using his debate skill with the nurse. A good sign. My son is always trying to use his debate skills on me. The prayers for Alex will continue for his speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Alex on Wednesday, Oct.6

Alex on Wednesday, Oct.6

Dane Thursday Oct 7th

Dane Thursday Oct 7th
Before Life Support was removed

Alex's Room

Alex's Room
Thanks for all the love